Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"Do You Think I'm Beautiful?" Study

I have been waiting all year to do this Bible Study! We started the year out by remembering (or realizing) that God’s fingerprints are on everything about us. He lovingly created us and He does DEEPLY care about the details of our lives. Then we moved on to relating to God as our Father. We talked at length about the RELATIONSHIP God intended to have with us. We talked at length about how we cannot use the men in our lives to define who God is and what His character is. Rather, we use God to define what men can strive to be.

“Do you think I’m Beautiful” takes us one step (for some it is going to be a GIANT leap- and I am SOOOOOOOO excited for them) further….relating to God as the Lover of our souls. In the first chapter of her book, Angela Thomas tells of a time when she hit rock bottom. Alone in her room, crying like a baby, feeling totally and completely alone, these words made it into her journal:


“Oh GOD! Do you think I’m beautiful? No one else has been able….so is it you? Are You the one who longs for me- the One who can fill this desire to be known? There is so much more inside of me, a great well of passion and dreams, A place I never let myself go. Is it SAFE to trust you with the rest of my heart? What will you do with me if I sow you everything? Every Desire? Every Longing? Every doubt? Every weakness? If I am exposed before you, will You still love me? Is your forgiveness truly irreversible? Is your grace Really Free? Will you hold me and care for me in the dark? Oh GOD! Please hold me and tell me that you love me.”

She says that she cried and waited. Empty. She lay on the floor, completely spent. Her question took up the whole room and there was nothing left to do but pray.

“It’s just me. You see it all. You know it’s just me. You know how You’ve made me and you know how to speak to me so I can hear. I cannot move until I hear from you.”

She continues….
“In the wildness of my room, as alone as I have ever been, the Lord met me. The words he formed in my mind began to answer the question. In my imagination, I could sense the Lord patiently smiling over me, and I heard Him speak to my heart: Yes, Angela, I think that you are beautiful. Your desire has served its purpose; you have finally brought your true heart to me. Are you tired of the weight of pretending? Are you tired of hoping that someone else could fill the place that was meant for Me? I see you, all of you, and you do not have to hide anymore. I see your sin and I see your flaws, and I still desire you as my own. I am crazy about you. I am the answer for your longing. The ‘more’ that your heart waits for is ME.

Yes, dear one, yes, you are incredibly beautiful to Me."

-From "Do You Think I'm Beautiful?" by Angela Thomas

I cannot wait to walk the next several weeks with you as you come to know our precious Father as the One who is enthralled by your beauty!!!!!!!

Hugs!
K