Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Lightening the Load

As you know, we’ve been discussing burdens the last couple of weeks. We’ve talked a lot about laying those burdens down and leaving them at the foot of the cross. Let’s talk about a different approach to the topic of burdens.

Galations 6:2 says “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ”. If we break this verse down, to carry each other’s burdens means to sympathize with, and assist each other in all our weaknesses, grievances and trials. If we do that, then we fulfill the law of Christ, which is the law of love.

I’ve found that if I’m self-focused on burdens that I’m carrying it’s easy to get downtrodden, to get stricken with pity and become consumed with the bad hand I’ve been dealt. On the flip side of that, I’ve also found that the more I invest myself in caring about the burdens of others, the more my own load seems to lighten. I have often wondered if that happens because my focus is no longer on ME or because God rewards me for helping to lighten the load of a friend.

Our prayer, as Christian women, should be to be people-conscious. That’s a challenge for some because our plates of responsibilities are already so full with our family, jobs, hobbies, church work, etc. But, above all else, God has called us to be a servant. I challenge you to think past the faces you meet along the halls of work, the ballpark, grocery store, or even your own church. There is a story behind every face. People are hurting; their loads are heavy. Let’s look for opportunities to minister to people, to share Christ’s love to another and to help lighten the load of their burden.

"I knew wherever I was that you thought of me, and if I got in a tight place you would come--if alive." ~ William T. Sherman, in a letter to Ulysses S. Grant


His Forever,
Christa