Thursday, June 25, 2009

Let my Husband run my house? You have to be crazy!

Let my Husband run my house? You have to be crazy!

Being raised in the South has great advantages. I truly could not think of a better place to be raised than in Mississippi. I love it. You guessed it; my mom was raised here too. Yes, my mom is to me, a true Southern Lady. Mississippi is known as the Hospitality State and my mom is queen of Hospitality. Anyone, from anywhere in the world would feel welcome and invited in her home.

Being raised by a mom like this has truly been a blessing and made me the woman I am today. Being taught to always say yes ma’am, no ma’am, thank you, please etc……no matter who you are talking to. One thing my mom taught me is that it is the wife’s responsibility to make her husbands life as easy as possible. It was always important to her to make sure the house was spotless clean the minute my Dad walked in from work. My mom made sure my dad always had the best meals cooked when he got home, never sandwiches and chips. My mom would get his clothes out each morning, get everything he needed for work, and have it all ready. She paid the bills, she did the shopping, she cleaned the house and yes most of the time even did the yard work. Did she have to do all of this? Of course not, but her goal was to take as much off of my dad as possible. Please don’t forget she DID work a full time job too.

Well here I am, 36 years old and following closely in my mom’s foot steps. Now I do not lay my husbands clothes out, but I find myself doing as much as possible so he won’t have to. Yes, I too, even get out there and get the yard work done, so when he gets off work he had nothing to do. I pretty much make sure our house runs as smoothly as possible (as smooth as it can with 4 children under the age of 10). I have found myself thinking what else I need to do to make it easier for him (I work full time too)J

Well all of you can imagine the shock to my soul when our preacher said that the “Man is the head of his household” and that “God did not create women to run the household”. You have got to be kidding. The Bible says this? Well, yes as a matter of fact it does. Eph 5:22-23 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the savior of the body.

Why is it I find it absolutely unfathomable to allow my husband to handle it all? Can he do it? Sure he can, but can he do it as good as me? Ah ha – there we go, is this a pride issue for me? I know what I am capable of, and I know that anything I do is going to be done right. Right? In whose eyes? MINE. Wow, do I have tunnel vision? Do I truly think that I can do everything better than him? Do I think that nothing will be done right if I don’t do it myself? The cold hard truth is that evidently I do feel this way.

My prayer for you, and myself, is that we as women will realize that God created man and woman so very different and for a reason. I pray that we will be able to unleash our selfish ways and realize that our husbands are as wonderful as we are, in their own way, Gods way! I pray that we find the strength, and courage, to allow our husbands to be the head of our homes, just as God created them to be. I pray that we will be able to show our husbands how much we trust them and allow them to take their God given positions in our homes. Ladies, our husbands cannot grow spiritually if we are not allowing them to be the man God created them to be. I would not do anything to hinder my husband’s relationship with God, so I must allow him to be the man God created to be. I must submit myself to him and allow him to be the true “Head of the Household”. I know that our home will truly be blessed.


Lovingly

Christie