Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thursday's Thoughts


GOD THE JUDGE


We’ve spent the last couple of weeks talking about the character we’ve imagined about God. We’ve talked about God being the Dreamer who dreams about His child. We’ve also talked about misconceptions we’ve created about God…God being convenient, being a Mr. Fix It and on and on the list goes. Today, we’ll talk about the misconception of God being the Judge.

If you’ve followed my posts, you can tell that I’ve come from a very legalistic background. I’ve grown up with a list of dos and don’ts. I’ve had the belief that if I do all the right things on my list then God will bless me. I’ve also had the belief that if I didn’t do all the right things then God ‘the Judge’ would punish and unleash his wrath on me. There was a time in my past that I believed that every life occurrence, whether good or bad, was either a reward for doing all the right things or either a punishment for some horrible sin I had in my life. I totally made my salvation all about works. I remember when I was a child praying over and over every night when I got into my bed for God to save me. I prayed that same prayer every single night for close to 20 years, sometimes multiple times each night. It was a miserable cycle of unrest and insecurity.

Why can’t people break out of the binding leash of works? Nicodemus was a Pharisee. When he came to Jesus in John chapter 3, he couldn’t accept the fact that salvation was so simple. All it required of him was to believe. It was hard for him to accept that he didn’t have to DO something. It all boils down to salvation being a heart issue, a heart change, if you will. I fully believe that if a person’s heart has changed, then her actions will change and will represent the One who seeks to be glorified through her life.

Dear friend, it is my sincere desire for you to break the chains that works place on you and for you to see God as He really is, a loving merciful Savior, who desires to have an intimate relationship with you, his daughter. I lived too long afraid of God the Judge. It was a wonderful day when I was finally able to breathe a sigh of relief and have my eyes opened to the unconditional love of my Heavenly Father.

His Forever,
Christa