Sunday, June 21, 2009

You want ME to submit??????


Ephesians 5:22-23 says "Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior."
This is most men's favorite verse because it gives them authority and makes them the "boss". Most women bristle at the mere mention of "submitting" because they do not desire to be "weak". Both have the concept of Biblical submission all wrong.

Submission is based on trust. That trust is born out of love.
If you knew without a doubt that the man in your life loved you unconditionally, wanted the very BEST for you, was willing to do whatever necessary to meet your needs, and always gave consideration to your wants and needs before making a decision.....if you knew that the man in your life cherished you and adored you and had eyes for no other.....if you knew that the man in your life was consistently seeking God's will for his life and for his family....would you have any trouble submitting to him? Of course not. A woman in a relationship with a man like this would naturally submit because she would not feel threatened, taken advantage of, or insecure. The man described above puts the woman in his life in an environment where she can grow and flourish.

But what if your man isn't all these things? Are you off the hook? No, you're not. You must still submit....First to God, then to the man in your life.
See, God is the model for the example of the perfect man I described above. You can trust Him. You can depend on Him. When you don't understand what He is doing, you can rest in the promise that He always does what is best. You can also trust God to change your man as He changes you.

God created men to be heroes. He created men to rescue and save. He created men to be strong and sure....and he created us to desire to be rescued, to be kept safe, to be protected and provided for. God created us to naturally fit together, our strengths and weaknesses compliment each other. God created us to fill in each other's gaps. We were created to be a team.


We have messed it all up. Men have stopped being the strong and sure hero because we told them we wanted them to be more tender and loving and...well, feminine. Women have stopped wanting to be rescued and protected because we have decided that we can do it better ourselves anyway. So, we have men who are not the head of the household...which is what GOD Almighty created them to be and we have women who ARE the head of the household....which is NOT what God intended them to be.

No wonder our marriages are a mess!

Over the next few weeks we will be delving into the topic of submission, but for now, Dear Reader, take a personal inventory.
This is NOT the time to put all the blame on the man in your life. This is not about him, it's ALL about you. Ask yourself the following questions....

~Who is the head of my household?
~Do I trust that the man in my life will save me, rescue me, provide for me and protect me?
~If I cannot yet trust the man in my life to be head of my home, do I trust GOD to get my home in the proper order?

Father God, submission is hard! We live in a world that consistently tells us that we must take care of ourselves. We have been raised to be independent and self-reliant women. We have been taught that if you want something done right, do it yourself. OH GOD! Help me to trust YOU. Help me to take that one step of faith. Draw me to you and sing songs over me so that I will know that you are near and that you are the lover of my soul. Help me trust you for all my needs so that I can lovingly and out of reverence to YOU submit to the man in my life. Help me to give him the proper place as head of my home so that he can be the man you created him to be.
Amen

Hugs!!!!!
K