1 package (3.4 ounce) instant vanilla pudding
4 cups fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries or blackberries) washed and hulled, plus extra for garnish
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
24 to 36 ladyfingers
1. To make the filling, prepare the pudding according to the package directions and chill it.
2. Slice the strawberries, then toss all of the berries with the lemon juice and the 1/4 cup of sugar. Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the berries to release their juices.
3. In a medium bowl, whip the cream, vanilla extract, and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar until soft peaks form. Set aside.
4. To make the layers, set a layer of the ladyfingers (around 7 or 8) on the bottom of a large, clear serving bowl. Top with the berries with half of the pudding.
5. Add another layer of ladyfingers, another third of the berries and juice, and the rest of the pudding. Add a final layer of ladyfingers and berries. Top with the whipped cream and a berry garnish.
6. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serves 8 to 10.