Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thursday's Thoughts

Submission.....A Matter of Trust
Thursday's Thoughts have been on "Biblical Submission" for the past two weeks. As we close the topic today, I want to bring to light one final misconception about God's command to submit and give you, Dear Reader, a beautiful picture of submission.

Submission is a matter of trust, not blind obedience.

Obedience says "I will do what you tell me to do." Obedience is not a heart issue, it is a behavior issue. Many people obey out of fear. Children can obey to avoid punishment. Employees can obey to keep their jobs. Wives can obey to avoid an argument. Obedience is not an indication of trust or respect and is not the same as submission.

In submitting to someone, you are telling that person, "I trust you and your judgement. I believe that you have my best interests at heart. I know that you have taken my needs into account in making this decision. I will follow your lead" Submission is a matter of the heart. Submission IS an indication of trust and respect, because one can only submit to a person who has proven themselves to be trustworthy and deserving of respect.


Scripture give us a beautiful example of submission in the book of Luke.
Chapter 22, verses 41-43 reads:
He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.

Our savior, Jesus Christ asked God the Father to find another way to save mankind if possible, but Jesus KNEW and TRUSTED that if the Father said "Go to the Cross", that was the only way. I cannot think of a better picture of complete and total submission than Christ. He did not follow blindly. He knew the plan to save mankind and, because His heart and His passion was the same as the Father's, He submitted to God and went to the cross. Because of this, you and I have the gift of salvation.

There is no way to fully address something so complicated as submission in a few posts, but I do hope that we have opened your heart to the idea of Biblical submission.

Hugs!
K