Thursday, July 2, 2009

Thursday's Thoughts

Submission…A Matter of the Heart

Submission is not to be confused with being subservient. One definition for ‘submit’ is to defer to another’s judgement, opinion, decision, etc. It also means to yield oneself to the power or authority of another. To be subservient means to be slavish. Slaves, my dear friends, we are not! Let’s establish that fact before we go any further…to be a submissive wife does not mean that we have to be a slave to our husband.

Genesis 2:20b-22 states, “But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him. And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. Then the rib which the Lord God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.” Matthew Henry’s commentary states, “That the woman was made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved.”

I am fortunate enough to have a wonderful husband who is hard-working, loving, and unselfish. He’s proven himself true-blue in the 13 years we’ve been married. I haven’t always understood why he’s made certain decisions, but in the long run, and looking at his track record, he’s always seemed to have made decisions that he thought was in the best interest of our family. He’s proven himself to me. He’s proven that I can trust him, that I can depend on him, that when all is said and done, the needs of our family are his first priority. Why would I not submit to this man?

The Bible tells us in Ephesians that the relationship between a husband and a wife should mirror image the relationship between Christ and His church. If that’s the case, and we, as Christians, are followers of God (submitted to God), then aren’t we commanded to also submit to our husbands? Of course we are.

A Submissive Wife:
1. Reflects the love of Christ for His church
2. Portrays to her children her love and support for their father


Dear Lord,

It is our desire to be women who submit to our husbands. Help us to understand that only then, when the husband takes the lead, can he truly be the head of our household and be what you’ve called him to be. Help us to see that by submitting to our husbands we are acting out the relationship between Christ and the church. Allow our children to see the purpose behind the design of a marriage between a man and woman. Help us to be used to build up and not tear down what you’re trying to do in the lives of our husbands. We thank you Lord for what you’re going to do through us!

In Jesus Name, Amen


To close on a much lighter note…


A mild mannered husband was tired of being bossed by his wife so he went to see a psychiatrist. The doctor said he needed to build his self-esteem, so he gave him a book on assertiveness which the man read on the way home on the bus. He finished the book by the time he reached the house.
The husband stormed into the house and walked right up to his wife. Pointing a finger in her face he said, "From now on, I want you to know that I am the man of the house and my word is law! I want you to prepare me a gourmet meal tonight. When I am finished eating my meal, I expect a scrumptious dessert. Then, after dinner, you're going to draw me my bath so I can relax. When I am finished with my bath, guess who's going to dress me and comb my hair?"
The wife looked him square in the eye and replied, "The funeral director."


His Forever,
Christa