Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thursday's Thoughts

Gosh! I’ve been busy the past few weeks. Last night as I drifted off to sleep, my “to-do” list flowed through my mind in an unending stream. This morning I woke up before the alarm went off and just listened to the quietness of my sleeping home. In this quietness, I realized just how busy I have been this summer and how frighteningly easy it is to get lost in the frenzy of amazing people, projects, and possibilities.

“SPA Day” is in 2 days. Last night the ladies on the FLO ministry team (and several others) stayed after church and transformed Pearson’s Fellowship Hall into a Hot Pink- Lime Green- Zebra Striped paradise. (it is so over-the-top girly that my critically male husband said it made him itch) Months and Months of preparation have led up to this weekend. We have been very busy securing a caterer, choosing flowers and other decorations, designing printed materials, securing door prizes…you get the picture...we’ve been busy. For the most part, we have been very focused on “WHY” we are planning a huge ladies event, and on “WHO” we want to represent. This week I lost my focus and THAT is when I began to get weary…and grouchy. Have you been where I am? Have you had seasons when life is overwhelmingly full of grand and amazing people, projects, and possibilities that you ponder the possibility of getting in your car, getting on the interstate, and just driving til you run out of gas??

Christians love to claim the promise, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”, but what happens when we lose sight of the one we are to be drawing our strength from? I found out this week….we get weary, grumpy, “stressed”, “frazzled”, worried, short tempered….need I go on? This week I got caught up in the details of the Ladies Event, and lost sight of the Ladies. This week I got caught up in the Ministry and lost sight of the One who gives me the strength to carry out the ministry. Thankfully, my sweet Savior whispered to me in the quietness of my sleeping home this morning and reminded me that I serve a great big God and that HE’s got this under control.

There are going to be times in life when things are overwhelming. There will be times when seemingly unreasonable deadlines will have to be met. There will be times when we truly feel like we are in the last leg of a marathon and all we want to do is crawl over the finish line so that we can collapse. There will be hard days. There will be busy days. There will be seemingly impossible days. When these days come, we are wise to bury the promise ‘I can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens me” deep in our hearts. Then, let’s set our eyes on the One who gives us strength and draw from HIM that which we need to get through the tough days.

Hugs,

K