Tuesday, August 4, 2009

FLO Fall Bible Study

The FLO Fall Bible Study will begin Sunday, September 6 at 5 pm.
I love the Fall Bible Study each year at Pearson. Not that this particular Bible Study is any better then the others we do throughout the year. I guess it has more to do with my frame of mind as the fall season approaches. For me, autumn seems to hold as much of a promise of a new beginning as New Year’s and Spring do for most people….maybe I just need more “fresh starts” than the average gal.
This has been a difficult year. Last September I was diagnosed with Cancer…on my vocal cords of all things. I had surgery in September of last year, then again in January, February, and April of this year. The threat of cancer has cast a shadow on every part of my life for almost a year now and to be honest, I am a little tired of it. I have struggled over the past 11 months with the darkness of fear….fear like I have never known in my life. I have had to trust complete strangers with my very life….and my voice. I have leaned harder on God than I ever thought possible. Many days, I did not even have the courage to lean on Him…He had to just pick me up and carry me. Through all of this I tried very hard to be very brave. Now that it’s over, I realize that I am absolutely drained. I am closer to my Lord than I have ever been. I understand more about Faith than I could have ever understood outside of this battle. I am more in love with Christ than I could have ever imagined possible…..but I am tired, and feeling a little empty.

All of this played a role in my choosing of the FLO Fall Bible Study. As with all things, I cannot imagine that I am the only one that has found herself empty. I cannot imagine that I am the only one who has felt she has nothing to offer her Savior in light of all He has given her. I cannot imagine that I am the only one who feels she must overcompensate for being flawed and scarred….and then feels paralyzed by the enormity of overcoming her imperfections. As I was skimming an excerpt from one of the Bible Studies we were thinking of doing this fall, my heart fell on the following phrase:

Maybe one of the most frustrating things about being a woman is living in the invisible ebb and flow of energy and emotion. When I hit the wall, my energy is gone, my heart is flat, and all I can see are my flaws. I can hear my poor spirit making a list: I should bake more and dust more and exercise more and give more and play more and pray more….just as I am falling asleep in my weariness.”

The excerpt is from “A Beautiful Offering” by Angela Thomas. Please make plans to join us in SEPTEMBER as we begin this study which reminds us that rather than requiring perfection, God simply requires our gracious obedience. In His eyes, your life, complete with mistakes, blemishes, and imperfections, is A Beautiful Offering.
Hugs!
K