Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Beautiful Offering - Week 4

For the past several weeks, we've been taking a fresh look at the Beatitudes through Angela Thomas's "Beautiful Offering". Rather than looking at them as a list of "you gotta be's" (as in "You gotta be merciful to receive mercy" or "you gotta be poor in spirit to get the Kingdom of Heaven"), she presents them as promises for “when you are".

This week it finally came together for me....the Sermon on the Mount is not about what I need to BE in order to gain God's favor. The Sermon on the Mount is about what I need to DO when I am....well, whatever it is that I am.

I just need to
GO to HIM...in every situation
LOOK for HIM...in every circumstance
DESIRE HIM....more than anything else

The promise of the Beatitudes is that, if I will just seek Him, Jesus will meet me where ever I am…and I will walk away from that meeting looking less like me and more like Him.

I don't need to try harder, I don't need to explain all the reasons why I am where I am, I don't need to retrace every detail of every step that brought me here, I don't need to give Jesus a detailed plan of action for not landing here again, I don't need more will power or more resolve or more self control. I don’t have to get it all together…….

And neither do you….

Just go to Him……He promises to do the rest.

This week, we'll look at the last 2 Beatitudes...
Peacemaker
You cannot manufacture peace....it is a byproduct of being with God.

Persecuted
In the midst of persecution, we get a double blessing....being drawn deeper into the embrace of God Almighty and knowledge of what awaits us in Heaven.

Join us for FLO Bible study Sundays at 5 at Pearson Baptist Church.

Hugs!
K