Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Finding Eternal Good Humor

by Thelma Wells

Like many women, I have bags of costume jewelry. The faux jewelry is counterfeit. It looks pretty for a while, but then it begins to fade, peel, and break. If you wear it in water long enough, it will turn your skin green.

Genuine versus counterfeit. Real versus fake. Joy versus happiness. Joy gives me calm assurance even though I go through the valley of the shadow of death. Joy enables me to hold my peace when people say and do ugly things to me. When we go through troubles, afflictions, persecution, danger, illness, and distress, when the enemy comes to steal, kill, and destroy, we can have genuine joy in our hearts.

Joy is permanent. Once you have it, you never lose it. It may be overshadowed by human frailties, but real joy lasts for eternity.

Promises About Finding Eternal Good Humor

John 16:22 - Jesus said, "Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy."

Psalm 126:5-6 - Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him.

Psalm 118:1 - Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.