Friday, January 8, 2010

Action Oriented Thinking

In the wake of all the resolution setting, I can’t help but be reminded of what my pastor spoke about last Wednesday night. It was a timely reminder of the patience that change requires. It has stuck with me, and so I hope that it will make a lasting impression with you as well.

It probably won’t surprise you that 70% of resolutions are never met. So, that leaves us with the question…"Where does life change begin?"

Romans 12:1-2 says this “ Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."

We are equipped to make a change only because of God’s grace and mercy.

So, how can we make changes that will stick and resolutions that we can keep?

1. Focus on long term goals, not just short term resolutions.
2. Focus on progress, not just perfection.
If we focus only on perfection, we set ourselves up for failure!
3. Focus on the HOW and not the WHAT.
We know what we want and it’s easy to focus on the WHAT. But, we need to change our focus to the HOW of getting to the WHAT. We’ve got to put some HOW to the WHAT!

Phillipiams 3:10-17 says this “I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained. Join with others in following my example, brothers, and take note of those who live according to the pattern we gave you."

Perfection is a process!

His Forever,
Christa