Thursday, January 28, 2010

If I Could Tell You Something - Week 2

I would tell you that….
You are fearfully and wonderfully made!

Last week I challenged you to ask God to show you how He made you….you. I also asked you to talk to Him about the things you don’t like about yourself and ask Him to show you why He made you the way He did.

I got 4 e-mails last week that said pretty much the same thing…..

“You know what we talked about in Flo Sunday night, about your best features and/or something you like about yourself ? I have been thinking since then and I honestly can’t come up with anything. I don’t know if it’s because we have been (women) taught we’re not suppose to admire ourselves. I get embarrassed when someone does give me a compliment, I know I should take it graciously but somehow I can’t… Another one my hang-ups. I’ll keep trying to come up with something but don’t be disappointed if I can’t.”

My response each time was “Keep looking. You have til Sunday. Don’t disappoint me.”

Sunday night when the FLO girls got together for Bible Study, we passed out index cards.
Each Lady stood up and introduced herself and all the other ladies wrote down one thing they admired about her. Since this is a new group, there are some new faces, so it also gave us a moment to get to know each other. Just as I anticipated, no one had any trouble finding something pleasing in all of the women in the room….all the cards were full. Each lady took her cards home with her to remind her of what other women see in her.

So, if we can readily see things in other women that we find pleasing, why can’t we see it in ourselves? I have my theories, but will save them for another time. If you had a hard time thinking of something you like about yourself, let me offer you this…..

Read Genesis 1.
See that God SPOKE everything into existence…..until He made man. He said “Let US MAKE man in OUR IMAGE”. Now, God did a great job on the mountains, the clouds, the sun, moon, and stars, the oceans, rivers, waterfalls, peacocks, kangaroos, Koala Bears, Pandas, Butterflies, and song birds by just speaking them into existence. Nature is wonderful and beautiful and marvelous. Now, how much more wonderful and marvelous are YOU than these, if He CREATED you rather than speaking you into existence? Okay, I understand, that was Adam and Eve…the FIRST man and woman. They were special to God. You may think that God does not take such care with the rest of us.

Look at Psalm 139:13-19
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.


God KNIT you together. He CHOSE the color of your eyes, hair, and skin. He sprinkled your nose with freckles (or not) and chose the color and shape of your lips. The same One who spoke the mountains and oceans into existence carefully knitted you together in your mother’s womb. My mom knitted when I was a child. It is a painstaking task. It is not something that can be rushed. Interesting that THIS is the term David used in the Psalm to describe life in the womb.
So, If you are still having a difficult time finding something pleasing about your body, consider the Lord of all Creation KNITTING you together. Think of the time it took, think of how all your body parts must work together, think of the intricate details of your eye color, hair color, and the texture of your skin. You, my dear sweet reader, are a Marvelous creation, knitted together by God himself. And what did He say when he created Adam and Eve? The same thing He said when He formed YOU…..Very good.

We will not meet this week, but will look at the Plan and Purpose God has for your life the First Sunday in February.

FLO Bible Study meets each Sunday night from 5-6 at Pearson Baptist Church in Pearl. Find out more about Pearson at www.pearsonbcfamily.org.