Monday, July 19, 2010

Ladies Summer Bible Study, Week 6

2010 Ladies Summer Bible Study
Practicing Basic Spiritual Disciplines
Focus on the Foundational Principals of Christian Living
Charles F. Stanley
Week 6
Looking For God In All Things


Learning: Does God speak to us in ways beside the Bible?
Growing: How can I learn to hear His voice?

Last week we talked about relationships, specifically what things are involved in GOOD relationships. One thing we touched on briefly was communication. Listening is as important in communication as is talking. It is important to make sure that you SAY what you mean, but it is even more important that you listen to the other person so that you know what THEY mean!

Listening is an integral part of communication, including our communication with God. It involves an active listening- an intent watching and waiting anticipation- for God to speak to us continually. We are to expect the Lord to speak to us and should keep our hearts and minds open to Him so that He can speak to us by any means at any time. To listen in this way is to be available to the Lord without hindrance.

When have you listened to someone "intently"?

4 ways to develop an attitude of listening


  • Wait in God’s presence 1Kings 19:11-13

  • Practice frequent praise Isaiah 25:1

  • See Christ in all things Colossians 3:1-2

  • Listen for opportunities to give a witness 1 Peter 3:15-16


Today: God DOES speak to me, but I must be willing to listen.

Tomorrow: I will practice listening in silence during my prayer times this week.

Father God,

I do want to hear what You have to tell me. Help me to listen intently for your voice as I go through my day. I know that you are with me always and that you speak to me and through me. Lord, I want to be focused on You and what You wnat to do today and always.

Amen

I hope you have a spectacular week! Remember to wait for God with the exoectation that He WILL show up!

Hugs!

K