Thursday, July 15, 2010

Remember Moses?

Today's post is from Jennifer Westerfield

Thanks Jennifer for sharing your thoughts with us!



For the past several weeks, I have not slept well. I have been waking up in a sweat and thinking to myself, “I’m too young for hot flashes”. I’ve been getting up, turning the air down, the ceiling fan up, and threatening to kick my hubby right out of the bed and onto the floor if he comes anywhere near my side of the mattress.



Now, I know the July heat in Central Mississippi is a force to be reckoned with, but THIS is just crazy!



This morning it hit me; there is a possibility that I am losing sleep and having night sweats because I have something on my mind: something that I can ignore during the day when I am awake and have lots to do. Perhaps all this is a result of me trying very hard to ignore something....or better yet, someone.



Several months ago, God let me know that He wants me to start a ministry for the girls in our church. Many of them belong to families who do not go to church and many of them have single moms and many of them just need someone to share the love of Christ with them. My heart’s desire is to establish a mentoring program for our girls; a ministry that encourages Christian women to build relationships with the girls so that we can lead them to Jesus and help them grow into strong godly women themselves. God placed this desire in my heart and, instead of being a good servant and following His guidance; I have been running in the opposite direction. “Why me, Lord?” is the question I keep asking. There is no way I can do this. See, I’m a big chicken. I am afraid of failing. I am afraid someone will tell me that I can’t do this, and I will believe them. I am afraid that others won’t approve. I’m afraid I’ll do it wrong.



This morning, God reminded me that all I have to do is follow His lead and He will take care of the rest. I have a new appreciation for Moses’ questioning...”Who am I?” God’s response to Moses warms my heart: “Certainly I will be with you” (Exodus 3:12)



* I have learned throughout my 31 years that I have never been alone.

* Over the past several weeks I have learned that I can’t ignore God.

* Today I have been reminded that, when I do what God has called me to do, He is certainly with me.



I am so thankful that scripture is full of people like Moses who asked “who am I?”

I am thankful that God loves me enough to whisper to my heart “Do you remember Moses?” because

* Like Moses, I can’t do much on my own

and

* Like Moses, there is no limit to what God can do through me.




Following Him~


Jennifer