Monday, August 16, 2010

Ladies Summer Bible Study



2010 Ladies Summer Bible Study
Practicing Basic Spiritual Disciplines
Focus on the Foundational Principals of Christian Living
Charles F. Stanley
Week 9
The Four R's of Spiritual Growth


This lesson is in 4 parts.....


None of us automatically grows spiritually. Each of us must choose to grow....and we must choose to continue to grow. We must never be satisfied with our current level of spiritual strength. We must always seek to become stringer, more mature, and more effective in the Lord.


2 Peter 3:18 says "Grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."
This is now a nice statement of encouragement or support. It is a command from the Lord.


In God's Word, we find 4 keys that are prerequisites to growth, no matter how mature a person may be in the Lord. Today, we'll look at the second one.


Receive Godly Counsel





God has placed Christian brothers and sisters in your life to encourage you, to admonish you, to teach you, and to give you godly counsel regarding God's unique purpose and plan for your life. James 1:19-20 says




"My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires."


What is involved in being "swift to hear"?

Why must we be "slow to speak"?

What role does wrath play in one's willingness to hear wise counsel?

How does wrath keep God's righteousness from being produced?

We are often quick to seek advice from friends and family whom we know will tell us what we what to hear. Often times we are not so swift to hear from someone who does not support out point of view. God sends all sorts of people into our lives to guide us and help us grow and mature spiritually. A person who reminds you of what God desires and commands is more valuable to you from an eternal perspective than one who is faithful to take your side in every situation.

Father God,
Help me to always seek godly counsel. Thank you for the people you have put in my life that are quick to remind me of Your Word. Help me to recognize them and help me to be swift to hear what you have to tell me through them. Help me to be slow to speak, Lord. Help me grow to be less concerned with what I need people to know about me and my circumstances and more concerned with what I need to know about you and what you want for me and from me.
Amen




















"For Ladies Only" is the ladies ministry of Pearson Baptist Church in Pearl Mississippi. Visit our Church website at http://pearsonbaptistchurch.community.officelive.com/default.aspx