Thursday, February 9, 2012

Thursday Thoughts

What's On The Inside?

Last night in Ladies Bible Study, we discussed James 3 and spent a good bit of time talking about "taming the tongue"...or NOT taming the tongue. During the course of conversation, one sweet lady made the following comment, "I'll tell you what really just gets me...It's when someone talks about God blessing them and then turns around and says all sorts of ugly words." Several ladies followed with their "pet peeves" concerning others' speech. I shared that mine is someone who spends years making choices that are clearly against God's word and then says that God is putting them through a "trial".

We assume that someone who claims to be a Christian, but then speaks in a manner that goes against God's word, is a hypocrite, but perhaps this duplicity is an indication that the person speaking is in need of discipleship.

I am reminded of a story that a pastor friend told...
Pastor and church member go fishing. After a morning of discussing how terrible the world is and how good Christians should be active in church like he is, the church member snags his hand on a hook. He screams in pain and lets a long list of expletives fly. Immediately remembering that the Pastor is in the boat with him, he apologizes and is quite embarrassed.
" Oh Pastor! I am so sorry! I don't know what came over me!"
The pastor replies, "No need to apologize. If it wasn't in you, it would not have come out."

Luke says it this way....
The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks. Luke 6:45

So, while I am sure that you, like me, will still be shocked, irritated, and embarrassed by the things that some people say, I challenge you to stop and consider the potential contained in their words. Pay attention to what people say, for out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. Listen to what the heart is telling you and thank God for allowing you the opportunity to hear what that person is NOT saying...
"I am bitter"
"I am angry"
"I am insecure"
"I am judgemental"
"I am selfish"
"I do not know Jesus"

What does YOUR speech tell people?
What is overflowing from your heart?


Until next time,
K

"For Ladies Only" is the ladies ministry of Pearson Baptist Church in Pearl Mississippi.