Thursday, June 26, 2014

Thursday Thoughts - Who am I?

 
 
wife, mother, teacher, secretary,  pastor's wife, Bible study leader, sister, daughter, grand daughter, niece, aunt, cousin, friend, co-worker, women's ministry coordinator, VBS director, VBS music leader, artist, patient, mentor, writer, choir member, cancer survivor
 
These are just some of the words used to describe who I am. All are accurate, but alone none are accurate. This is because each of these identities are tied to someone or something else and their perception of me. Because of this, most of my success or failure is determined by them and their idea of what I should be. Often times, I excel in one area and fail miserably in another.
 
Know the feeling?
 
Thankfully, there is one identity that I intentionally left off the list. One that is not based on what anyone thinks of me.
 
As a Child of God, I am sealed for heaven and nothing anyone thinks about me here on earth will make me any greater or any less in My Heavenly Father's eyes. Jesus Christ died on the cross for my sin, was buried and rose again, defeating death once for all. Because of my understanding that I am a sinner and cannot be good enough to get to heaven, believing that Jesus is the one and only Son of God, and my faith that He paid the penalty for my sin, I am a Christian. A Child of God. A born again believer in Jesus Christ. This is my core identity, it is solid and unchanging and completely independent of anyone's perception of me.
 
Who am I? I am all of the things listed above and more, but first and foremost, I am a Child of God, sealed for eternity in Heaven...the rest are just details.
 
 
Have a great day!
Kris
 
 
 
"For Ladies Only" is the ladies ministry of Pearson Baptist Church in Pearl Mississippi.