Thursday, August 28, 2014

Thursday Thoughts - Where Do I Go?


There is a song that we sang with one of our former Choir Directors called "I go to the Rock". It went something like this..

Where do I go when there's nobody else to turn to?
Who do I turn to when nobody wants to listen?
Who do I lean on when there's no foundation stable?
I go to the Rock, I know He's able, I go to the Rock

I go to The Rock for my salvation
I go to the stone that the builders rejected
I run to the mountain and the mountain stands by me
When the earth all around me is sinking sand
On Christ, the Solid Rock, I stand
When I need a shelter, when I need a friend, I go to the Rock

Where do I hide till the storms have all passed over?
Who do I run to when the winds of sorrow threaten?
Is there a refuge in the time of tribulation?
When my soul needs consolation, I go to the Rock
 
You get the idea.
 
I was reminded of this song several times over the past month. Maybe not the song itself so much, but the idea behind it. I wonder, where DO those who don't know Christ go when things go terribly wrong? I'm not just speaking of "non-church-goers". I am speaking of people who don't KNOW Christ.
 
Each time I was diagnosed with cancer, I knew that Doc would do what needed to be done to make me well, but that God was the one who would heal me and support me until I was whole again.
 
Recently, a very dear friend of mine lost her husband. He went to the hospital thinking he had pneumonia and was sent home a few days later with Hospice care. He went to heaven a week later.
 
Just last week, another friend lost her brother. He was fine yesterday morning. She spent today making funeral arrangements.
 
In times like these, when life jerks the rug out from under you, where do you go? Who do you turn to?
 
We don't know what tomorrow (or this afternoon) holds. We make plans as though we do, but things can take a sudden tragic turn in a matter of seconds. It is so important to know God before we need Him to walk us through a valley. We need to know He is worthy of our trust. We need to KNOW that He has a plan. We need to KNOW that His way is best...even when we hurt and life doesn't make a bit of sense.
 
Take every opportunity to spend time in God's Word. Get to know Him. Open the pages of your Bible and experience for yourself the stories that make up God's story of redemption. Scripture is full of people, who found themselves in need of Divine intervention. It is comforting to see how God worked things together for the good of those who love Him over and over and over again. Added to that, talk to Christians, especially those really crazy ones who believe that everything is all about God. You will be amazed at how easy it is to believe their "crazy" stories when you need spiritual comfort.
 
The bottom line is simply to not wait until you need God-sized comfort and guidance to get to know God. There will come a day when something happens that causes your heart to hurt so much that no person in your life can ease your pain. My prayer for you is that, when that day comes, you will already have such a deep and rich relationship with our Heavenly Father that you will instinctively rush into His arms.

 
 
 

 

"For Ladies Only" is the ladies ministry of Pearson Baptist Church in Pearl Mississippi.